Monday, May 3, 2010

Roniopplemary Chicken...

This recipe was inspired (okay, stolen) from the Food Network website with, of course, several modifications from me (here is the original version). It looked simple and pretty tasty, and I happened to have all of the ingredients (yay!), so I decided to make it.

As usual, I did not have any of the ingredients in the right proportions, but whatever:

  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • Garlic
  • ~2 spoonfuls of rosemary
  • Lemon juice
  • Low sodium chicken broth
  • SALT


This was quite good! I served it on white rice and consumed it over a few days. It could have used more flava, but I just heaped on the salt and everything was fine (that's what happens when you accidentally purchase low sodium chicken broth...). This recipe did have something missing though, and I'm not sure what it was. It needed richness, a sort of "umami" type of taste...whatever.

Things learned:

  • Put in the apples closer to the end. Otherwise, they get way too mushy.
  • The lemon juice was definitely a mistake. Too much acidity. I will not be using it again in this recipe.
  • Chicken CANNOT be cooked for very long. I don't know why I keep making this mistake, but I am determined not to mess up again. From now on, 2.5 hours on high, tops.
  • Less broth. It makes the rice soggy. I have yet to figure out how to get everything in Gretel thoroughly cooked without filling it with liquid (I don't want EVERYTHING to be a watery soup...). For now, I'm just using a slotted spoon to filter out liquid before I put stuff away in a tupperware.


Re: the name. Nothing else has occurred to me...there must be a name less cumbersome than "roniopplemary" out there, but it continues to evade me.

Happy May to everyone!

And happy birthday to my wonderful father!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment